We believe being healthy is one of the keys to living a happy lifestyle. There are so many ways in which you can live a healthy life: through exercise, and healthy eating; but also through rest, proper amounts of sleep, and spending time with the most important people in your life. It’s easy to forget that being healthy isn’t just about beingphysically healthy, it’s also about being mentally and emotionally healthy as well. An easy way to ensure you’re balancing out your life in a healthy way is to schedule time with family and friends – and yourself – just as you would a work meeting, doctor’s appointment or personal training appointment.
Om is the sound of the universal vibration, and is (arguably) the most common mantra, or chant, out there. You can practice it during your meditation by taking a long breath in through your nose, and making the soundOm as you exhale, continuing with every breath cycle.
Another option, which is common during public classes, is to begin your practice with three Om’s and end your practice with one Om.
Rest may be one of the most important parts of a healthy lifestyle. We need to give our hard-working bodies time to recover and rejuvenate so that we can crush our goals. The following three poses are restorative poses designed to help you relax and open up your body in the gentlest of ways.
Bolster or pillow
A second bolster or pillow (if this is to your liking)
Supported child’s pose
- Come into child’s pose
- Place a bolster or pillow lengthways between your legs
- You can stack pillows here to raise you up higher
- Lower yourself down so your belly and rests on the pillows
- Rest your forehead or one cheek on the pillow
- Stay here for 2-10 minutes
Supported spinal twist
- From seated, sit onto one hip and bring your legs into 90 degree angles
- Adjust your legs whenever you need; the closer your feet are tucked towards your body, the less strain on the hips
- Place a bolster or pillow lengthways from your seated hip (the hip attached to your front leg)
- Twist your torso towards the bolster then lay down
- If the twist is too intense, you can lie on your side
- Your head should rest on the bolster
- Hold for 2-10 minutes then repeat on other side
Supported bound angle with heart opener
- Place a bolster or pillow lengthways behind you
- Sit a few inches in front of the bolster
- Place the soles of your feet together, knees open
- Lay back onto the bolster – make sure you head is supported and hips are on the ground
- Hold for 2-10 minutes
We’d love for you to share with us how you stay healthy through yoga, meditation or any other way! You can always find us @myinnerfire or #myinnerfire.