Located between the navel and genitals on the spine, the sacral chakra is known as the dwelling place of the self. Your sacral chakra is the pleasure center, both of sexuality and creativity. The element associated with this energy center is water, which connects us to the ebb and flow of the moon cycle. When balanced, you have feelings of abundance, pleasure, and joy. You have no problems expressing yourself, and have a passion to live your life the way you want. If the chakra is overactive people tend to be over-emotional, create unnecessary drama, and form unhealthy attachments to things (people or objects). Underactive sacral chakras can cause low libido, lack, fear to express your creativity, self-sabotage, unable and unwillingness to live authentically, avoidance of pleasure, and abstaining from creative outlets.
Physical dysfunctions associated with an imbalanced sacral chakra are an irregular or painful menstrual cycle, urinary and kidney infections, infections and tumors in the reproductive organs, pelvic or low back pain/sciatica, erectile dysfunction, or a low or abnormal sex drive.
Some things to try on to help open and unlock your sacral chakra are:
- Get a massage. Give and receive with your partner or find a RMT in your area
- Hula hoop, belly dance, burlesque . . . whatever movement wakes up the goddess within. My favourite dance class in my town is called Diva, Diva, Diva taught by our resident drag queen. We learn some of her routines and it’s my favourite night of the week!
- Wear orange. I love the Free Spirit and Fierce Sky leggings to awaken passion! If you are into gemstones wearing any amber, topaz, tiger’s eye, or citrine can help stimulate your chakra.
- Use orange essential oil in your water. Just a drop of pure, therapeutic grade essential oil is all you need to wake up your senses. (I am a DoTerra fan.) This brings me back to the days of soccer games, my favourite part being the orange slices at half time!
- Meditate focusing on your sacral center. Starting from your root work your awareness up into the place just beneath the navel. Picture a glowing orb or orange sitting in this place is helpful as well as using the mantra Vam. Notice what you notice, staying for as long as you can.
Some questions to journal or discuss with a friend or partner:
- How do you define creativity? Do you feel you are a creative person?
- Do you keep your word/promises? What are your core values?
- What goals do you have for yourself that you haven’t pursued? Why?
- What is attractive to you? What is unattractive? When do you feel attractive?
- How do you indulge in life’s pleasures? Do you ever over or under indulge?
Key Yoga Poses associated with the Sacral Chakra:
- Hip openers such as reclined pigeon, shoelace, double pigeon, lotus
- Seated pelvic circles
- Butterfly pose
- Cobra pose
Sacral Chakra Affirmation
I am radiant, beautiful and strong. I live life passionately. I am unafraid to be myself. I love all dimensions of myself.
By Luminary: Tara Koenig