The heart chakra relates to compassion, healing, self-acceptance and your relationships. This chakra integrates the upper and lower chakras, a place where your physical and spiritual energies meet. The element associated with your heart chakra is air. When functioning healthy this chakra radiates unconditional love and connection. When in balance love and compassion are easy to come by. You take relationships with all living things seriously and with great consideration. Love comes without conditions or expectations. An underactive chakra causes one to become negative. Feelings of being unappreciated or unworthy tend to come up, which in turn makes it easy to keep people at a distance and make it hard to trust them. An overactive chakra is seen in those ruled by their emotions, or hypercritical of themselves and others. Relationships are quite often given expectations, and when not met feel one-sided.
Physically, a dysfunction with the heart chakra may manifest as asthma, heart disease, lung disease, poor circulation, and high or low blood pressure. It can also manifest in something as serious as a heart attack.
Some things to try on to help open and unlock your heart chakra are:
- Get a plant. Take care and nourish something green. It could be as simple as a houseplant or an extravagant garden. Give some love to this plant and be amazed by what a little water and sun can do.
- Spend one day performing random acts of kindness. Smile at strangers, pay for the next coffee, open doors. Performing acts that make others happy will make you happy as well.
- Write down a letter of forgiveness. Quite often the hardest thing to do is forgive. Forgive yourself, past partners, old, and new friends. Then move on!
- Listen to the song Om Mani Padme Hum, or the love song to the divine. My favourite version is by DZ Drez and Marti Nikko. While not the easiest to find a direct to English translation, Tibetan Buddhists believe that repeating this mantra summons compassion.
- Embrace the color green. Drink green juice or smoothies. Wear emeralds, Jade or Turquoise. Wear you heart on your sleeve, literally. Tanks to open the heart include; Love is Magic, My heart is a Compass, Choose Love Everyday, Listen to your heart, Love Connects, Love is all Around, and the Anatomical heart. No shortage of love here!
Some questions to journal or discuss with a friend or partner:
- Who do I need to forgive? What do I need to let go?
- What relationships in my life need healing?
- Am I envious or jealous of what other people have?
- Are my relationships healthy? Are there relationships I need to revisit?
- Do I fully accept and love myself the way I am?
Key Yoga Poses associated with the Solar Plexus Chakra:
- Backbends such as Camel pose
- Melting heart
- Forward folds with a bind
- Fish pose
Heart Chakra Affirmation
Love is the answer to everything. My heart is centered and opened. I am open to give and receive love. I let go of fear, worry, anger and guilt. I am free to love. I am love. By Luminary: Tara Koenig