The crown chakra is our source of spiritual connection to all that is, and our place where we are able to find enlightenment. Enlightenment isn’t reserved for monks who devote their life to meditation. Becoming more aware and more present in our day-to-day life can enlighten us. Just as the root chakra was our connection to mother earth, our crown chakra connects us to God. I use the term God loosely, as a spirit – the notion that one source cannot hold all information. Together as one we have infinite knowledge. To be truly open in this place you are aware that everything is connected. You are one within all and all within one. When your crown chakra is in balance you are spiritually wise and are able to help others without wondering how it will benefit you – you know that by helping one you are helping all.
An overactive chakra is seen in those who are overly attached to a religion or belief system. Fixated on one idea they are unable to accept other ways of thinking. They find it hard to relate to others, as they believe they are above them. Underactive chakras are common in those suffering from mental disease. A lack of purpose or resentment towards someone or something has caused them to dissociate from the whole. It is very hard for these types to stay positive as they are essentially trapped in a negative belief pattern. Physically, a blocked crown chakra can manifest as depression, chronic exhaustion, muscular disease, and light or sound sensitivity.
Somethings to try on to open and unblock your crown chakra:
- Meditate. This really is the best and most efficient way of training the brain to stay present. Just like any other practice it takes some time, patience, and practice. See what works for you and go with it. I find repetitive movement such as swimming easier to perform than sitting. I also use guided meditations often. YouTube has an endless amount of guided meditations to check out.
- Visit an energy or alternative healer. Reiki, Bioenergy healing, and Cranial Sacral Therapy are all good options. Go in with an open mind and notice what you notice. I have had great results from working with my energy healer. They have brought my chakras into alignment and I am a stronger and happier person because of it.
- Practice Noble silence. Choose a day that works well for you (ideally not a day packed with meetings or social interactions) and do not speak; at all! I’ve practice this in a controlled setting at teacher trainings where we are all in noble silence – I have yet to bring it into the “real world”. Try it for an hour or 10 days. See what happens.
- Make a mala necklace or bracelet. In the chakra course we finished off by making bracelets with the color stones of each chakra. A little reminder to wear to remind the students of all the work they have done, and the work still to be done. By making it yourself you are putting your own energy and intention into each piece. Mala necklaces are great tools to use while meditating; repeating the same mantra over and over helps to ingrain it into your mind.
Some questions to journal or discuss with a friend or partner:
- What does enlightenment look like to me? What is achievable for me?
- Am I giving myself time and space to grow? (i.e. time for meditation) What do I need to do?
- Do I believe that I can achieve enlightenment?
- What are my religious or spiritual beliefs? What does God mean to me?
- Have I ever witnessed a miracle?
Key poses associated with the Crown chakra:
- Downward Dog
- Revolved Half Moon
- Extended Saddle pose
Crown Chakra Affirmation:
"I trust that everything happens for a reason. I accept myself as it is. I am complete. I am one with the divine. I see the all within one and the one within all."
By Luminary: Tara Koenig