Our core is our body’s main power center, our third chakra is our personal power center – from which our prana (life force) radiates. Located between the navel and the bottom of the rib cage on the spine, this is your own personal lustrous gem. When in balance we have a clear sense of who we are, what we want and where we are going in life. Self-trust, self-responsibility and self-esteem originate here. This is also where the phrase “your gut reaction” stems from. When you are in balance in this energy center, you have control over your mind and your emotions. Your ego is kept in check and you radiate this warmth to everyone in your life.
When the solar plexus chakra is imbalanced, a person will typically have some sort of digestive issue. Often they suffer with weight problems, diabetes or hypoglycemia. There are also kidney and liver issues that can come up with a blockage. A person with an overactive chakra will be a stubborn perfectionist, very judgmental, and even aggressive. An underactive chakra is typical of someone with trust and emotional issues. There is a lot of doubt, feelings of being alone and not good enough.
Some things to try on to help open and unlock your solar plexus chakra are:
- Eat a meal mindfully. Acknowledge that each item of food on your plate began somewhere, passed through many hands and eventually was prepared. Take time with each bite to savor and enjoy your meal from start to finish.
- Wear yellow, gemstones such as citrine, jasper, and yellow tourmaline. Find a piece of clothing with a bright pop of yellow to incorporate into your wardrobe. The Island Bliss leggings have a brilliant image of a tropical paradise you can enjoy wherever you go.
- Get some sun on your skin. The element associated with the solar plexus chakra is fire, feel the warmth enter your skin.
- Try a candle meditation. When I first started meditating this was a tool I used to stay focused on my minds eye. Seated just in front of a flame I would lock my gaze on the flame until I felt I could hold it in my mind and close my eyes. When I lost it I simply opened my eyes and began again. Set a timer and notice with practice how long you can keep the flame alive with closed eyes.
- Practice Nauli Kriya. When you are comfortable practicing Uddiyana bandha try this on. “ Lower the shoulders. Revolve the stomach left and right with the speed of a strong whirlpool. This is called Nauli by the masters. This Nauli is the crown of Hatha Practices. It kindles a weak gastric fire, restores the digestion, always brings happiness, and dries up all defects and diseases.” – From the Hatha Yoga Pradipika translation by Brian Dana Akers
Some questions to journal or discuss with a friend or partner:
- Do I need the approval of others? Do I approve of myself?
- How do I go about achieving my goals?
- What negative habits do I need to give up? What positive habits should I practice?
- Do I eat mindfully? Am I doing all I can to promote healthy digestion?
- Am I constantly wishing my life were different than it is? If so, why?
Key Yoga Poses associated with the Solar Plexus Chakra:
- Any pose that will fire up your core, mainly Boat Pose
- Seated twist
- Nauli Kriya
- Sitting in hero’s pose, activate Mula bandha, Uddiyana bandha and Jalandhara bandha
Solar Plexus Chakra Affirmation
I am confident in all that I do. I am capable. My needs are important. I stand up for myself and what I believe in.
By Luminary: Tara Koenig