Someone asked me today about the meanings behind the “yoga puns” I put on my shirts. I figured I would post the answers here! And yes, if you haven’t already guessed, I’m a huge Sanscrit nerd! I came up with most of these on a bus ride home one day. I have some terrible ones that never made it on to shirts too (like “I’ll order the Sushumna on rice” – you’ll only get this one if you’re a super Sanscrit nerd AND eat craploads of sushi like me).
**Apologies in advance if this ends up sounding like that lame person who ends up having to explain their own joke after everyone has already gotten it.**
“SHAKE YOUR ASANA”
- ASANA means yoga pose, or traditionally, seat.
“METTA IS BETTA”
- METTA means loving kindness. It’s always better!
“LIVING IN THE PERFECT SIDDHI”
- SIDDHI means perfection, success or attainment. Play on the word “City”.
“I’M WITH THE BANDHA”
- A BANDHA is an energy lock in the body that you activate to get stronger in a pose. Play on those lame “I’m with the band” shirts.
“I’M SWIMMING WITH PRANA”
- PRANA is life force energy that flows through all living things. Play on word “piranha”.
“I’M SO HAPPY I COULD KRIYA”
- KRIYA means “completed action” and also refers to exercises one does to cleanse the body, including self-induced crying to clear the eye ducts! Play on word “cry”.
“I’M JUST HERE FOR THE SAVASANA”
- SAVASANA is corpse pose, the last pose in a yoga class where you do absolutely nothing!
“I DRIVE MY OWN KARMA”
- KARMA refers to the cycle of cause and effect that is linked to our actions. Play on word “car”.
“I BROKE UP WITH HIMSA”
- HIMSA means harming or violence. Play on word “him”.
“ALL YOU NIDRA IS SLEEP”
- NIDRA literally means sleep in Sanscrit. Yoga Nidra is a style of meditation practice done laying down. Play on word “need”.
“GOING BHAKTI BASICS”
- BHAKTI yoga is the yoga of devotion, simple practices that bring us closer to an enlightened state, like chanting a mantra. Play on “back to basics”.
- NAMASTE means “the divine light within me bows to the divine light within you”, it is said by both teacher and student to end the yoga class. Then you go!
I hope that explains some of the quirky sayings I have on my shirts! Thanks for reading!
Enter for your chance to win! December 6th - 8th, 2016
One lucky winner each day will be selected by random draw.