Someone asked me today about the meanings behind the “yoga puns” I put on my shirts. I figured I would post the answers here! And yes, if you haven’t already guessed, I’m a huge Sanscrit nerd! I came up with most of these on a bus ride home one day. I have some terrible ones that never made it on to shirts too (like “I’ll order the Sushumna on rice” – you’ll only get this one if you’re a super Sanscrit nerd AND eat craploads of sushi like me).
**Apologies in advance if this ends up sounding like that lame person who ends up having to explain their own joke after everyone has already gotten it.**
“SHAKE YOUR ASANA”
- ASANA means yoga pose, or traditionally, seat.
“METTA IS BETTA”
- METTA means loving kindness. It’s always better!
“LIVING IN THE PERFECT SIDDHI”
- SIDDHI means perfection, success or attainment. Play on the word “City”.
“I’M WITH THE BANDHA”
- A BANDHA is an energy lock in the body that you activate to get stronger in a pose. Play on those lame “I’m with the band” shirts.
“I’M SWIMMING WITH PRANA”
- PRANA is life force energy that flows through all living things. Play on word “piranha”.
“I’M SO HAPPY I COULD KRIYA”
- KRIYA means “completed action” and also refers to exercises one does to cleanse the body, including self-induced crying to clear the eye ducts! Play on word “cry”.
“I’M JUST HERE FOR THE SAVASANA”
- SAVASANA is corpse pose, the last pose in a yoga class where you do absolutely nothing!
“I DRIVE MY OWN KARMA”
- KARMA refers to the cycle of cause and effect that is linked to our actions. Play on word “car”.
“I BROKE UP WITH HIMSA”
- HIMSA means harming or violence. Play on word “him”.
“ALL YOU NIDRA IS SLEEP”
- NIDRA literally means sleep in Sanscrit. Yoga Nidra is a style of meditation practice done laying down. Play on word “need”.
“GOING BHAKTI BASICS”
- BHAKTI yoga is the yoga of devotion, simple practices that bring us closer to an enlightened state, like chanting a mantra. Play on “back to basics”.
- NAMASTE means “the divine light within me bows to the divine light within you”, it is said by both teacher and student to end the yoga class. Then you go!
I hope that explains some of the quirky sayings I have on my shirts! Thanks for reading!
It’s really important that we fuel our bodies the right way and boost our mood and energy naturally instead of turning to caffeine and sugar-filled snacks. While they might give you a temporary hit, they won’t do your body any good in the long run; they will only slow you down and leave you even more tired!
There is wide variation in women’s and men’s bodies; some women will have a narrower pelvis than the average man and some men will have more flexible joints than the average woman. However, there are significant differences between the average female and average male body.